Oftentimes, we can find ourselves in situations to which we need to adapt carefully. Emergency situations are the worst and although we try our best to avoid any sort of emergency by taking utmost care of anything, it becomes a challenge to handle if something happens all of a sudden.
Bleeding is one such incident which can occur due to many things. In such cases of emergency, it becomes crucial for at least one person around the victim to have proper knowledge of the thing and the ability to take care of the person concerned.
When you find yourself in such a situation where someone is bleeding profusely, you need to follow certain steps.
Table of Contents
Before anything else, it is important to keep in mind the following points…
- The person who is bleeding should be calmed down. Until you reassure the victim, you cannot help the person who can be hyperventilating by that time. To provide them with confidence that they can fight through it is essential.
- Do not panic. If you are the only one of the remaining people in a survival situation who can help the person, you should not panic at any cost. This delays the process and also makes the victim anxious which is again detrimental to them.
- Make sure the person who is bleeding isn’t surrounded by many people. It is important for the person to breathe and stays wide awake when they have been hurt. Gatherings around the patient will block the air and the oxygen which will, in turn, make them restless and difficult to handle. This will also delay treatment.
- There are many people who can faint or feel extremely uncomfortable at the sight of blood. If you are one of them, keep away from treating the victim because your actions will rather make the patient anxious. If there is someone in the group who has such an affliction, they must be sent away. The more time they spend near the incident or insight of the blood, the more chances of them falling sick. This will do nothing but increase the burden of unwell people in the middle of an emergency.
- Always make sure to guarantee the best quality equipment and materials for the treatment of the cut from which the person is bleeding. Although in emergency situations it becomes difficult to ensure this, one must always strive to get the best for the treatment. This only increases the chance of survival of the person, later on into the treatment.
- Remember, in a survival situation, the main aim is to get past the danger phase and make it a point to retain the life of the person concerned. Thus, in such situations, one needs to act fast and immediately if they are to be of any help. If you are someone who has been through panic attacks and anxiety attacks and never faced such a situation, you might consider assisting the one who has a clear idea about what needs to be done.
Now that you have the basic ideas about what you should do and what you should not in such a situation, we will carry on with the steps that you need to follow to help someone who is bleeding in a survival situation.
Step 1: Control the Bleeding
The first step is to assess the situation. Once you have the understanding that someone is bleeding and it is an emergency situation, you need to aim at controlling the bleeding.
There are many ways in which you can do that but it depends on the kind of wound. It also depends on the area of the body that has been wounded.
If the cut is deep and there is no way you can control it with mere pieces of cloth, you should look for a string that can be tied around the area to stop the circulation at that point and hence control the blood.
Step 2: Cleaning the wound
After you are certain that you have stopped the bleeding, you have to move on to the next step. In this step, you will require to clean the wound. The bleeding can be made worse if an infection is to occur.
At this point, your sole aim should be to keep any sort of germ away from the wound. When a cut occurs, the area which is bleeding is exposed to all sorts of foreign particles.
These can lead to serious and fatal infections such as Septicemia. To avoid such degradation of the wound, you should first remove any item of clothing that has come in contact with the blood.
After that, you need to clean the area with the cleanest piece of cloth that you can find. It will be best if you can use some hot water to do that because that will also disinfect the area and reduce the risk of infections further.
Step 3: Close the wound
If someone is bleeding profusely, it generally indicates that the wound is deep and long. In such a case, stopping the bleeding and cleaning the wound will not suffice. You have to make sure to close the wound.
The main question now is, how to do that? It is not a simple task but it is not as complicated as you might think. Depending on the area and the type of wound, you can use sutures, glues, staples and close the wound properly so that no area is open to infections.
This step might be extremely painful for the person in question. But you have to keep your motive straight and do it anyway. Make sure to make the victim comfortable and confident during this step or else things can go the other way.
Step 4: Protecting the wound
Once you have followed all the three previous steps, it is your turn to move on to the next step which is to secure the wound primarily for the survival of the person who is hurt. This step is extremely important till any professional help arrives.
Although working with bandages and gauzes need a little bit of practice, any person can use these for the primary level. Do not panic and hold the wounded part up and tie a bandage around it. Secure it with clips or any other sort of instrument you can lay your eyes upon.
This step is also crucial to ensure that the patient won’t have to go through much pain afterwards and it will also help to save the valuable blood that will flow out of the wound and is not protected.
Dressing a wound requires patience and keen eyes. Make sure you being the caregiver is calm and quiet. This step will also make the person concerned feel lighter and help them to reach the psychological point in which they can be optimistic about the future.
Conclusion — Stop Bleeding in Survival Situations
Now that you know what to do in case you land up in such a situation, we hope, you will act accordingly and with utmost immediacy.
You must remember that blood loss in the form of external wounds can be extremely traumatizing to the person concerned. Your purpose is not only to take care of the wound but also the person’s mental stability at the given point in time.
Do not shy away from asking people for help. You should also be confident about the whole situation and be actively in charge of it. We are sure that this article has provided you with all the necessary information that you will need to face such a situation.